The Statistical Sleuth (2nd edition) in R
These files are intended to help describe how to undertake analyses introduced as examples in the first 13 chapters of the Second Edition of the Statistical Sleuth: A Course in Methods of Data Analysis (2002), the excellent text by Fred Ramsey and Dan Schafer. An equivalent for the third edition can be found at http://www.math.smith.edu/~nhorton/sleuth3. A version of the analyses from the Introduction to the Practice of Statistics (6th edition) can be found here.
This work leverages efforts undertaken by Project MOSAIC, an NSF-funded initiative to improve the teaching of statistics, calculus, science and computing in the undergraduate curriculum. In particular, we utilize the mosaic package, which was written to simplify the use of R for introductory statistics courses. A short summary of the R needed to teach introductory statistics can be found in the mosaic package vignette located here.
Other R packages used include MASS, Sleuth2, agricolae, car, gmodels, leaps and xtable.
We have include both formatted pdf files as well as the original knitr files which were used to generate the output. Knitr is an elegant, flexible and fast means to undertake reproducible analysis and dynamic report generation within R and RStudio. Comments, suggestions and corrections welcomed.
Nicholas Horton, Kate Aloisio, Ruobing Zhang and Linda Loi (last updated January 12, 2014)
pdf and knitr files
- Chapter 1 (2 group comparisons and resampling): pdf knitr
- Chapter 2 (2 group comparisons using t-tests): pdf knitr
- Chapter 3 (a closer look at assumptions): pdf knitr
- Chapter 4 (non-parametric 2 group comparisons): pdf knitr
- Chapter 5 (more than 2 groups): pdf knitr
- Chapter 6 (linear combinations and multiple comparisons): pdf knitr
- Chapter 7 (linear regression): pdf knitr
- Chapter 8 (even more linear regression): pdf knitr
- Chapter 9 (multiple regression): pdf knitr
- Chapter 10 (inference for multiple regression): pdf knitr
- Chapter 11 (model checking and refinement): pdf knitr
- Chapter 12 (variable selection): pdf knitr
- Chapter 13 (two-way ANOVA): pdf knitr
- Additional file needed to compile: language.sty
- Additional files which also may needed to compile: xcolor.sty, xstring.sty, and/or xstring.tex